With nearly 65% of the nation’s apples coming from Washington state, you can bet your bushel there’s a tote-full of great recipes for these delicious fruits of the Northwest. Among the best recipes, that are easy to make and easy to enjoy is crockpot apple butter.
If you’ve never blessed a piece of toast with some home-made apple butter, then it’s time you get out your crockpot and find out what all the love is about.
Crockpot Apple Butter Recipe
There’s probably as many ways to make apple butter as there are apples. If you’ve got a favorite recipe you’d like to share, head on over to our Facebook page and post it there so more folks can enjoy the goodness of the orchard. We’ve chosen a pretty basic ‘starter’ recipe that you can add to or subtract from to make your own.
4 Pints (roughly 32 servings)
- 5 1⁄2lbs apples, peeled and finely chopped (Use 3-4 different types of apples)
- 4cups sugar
- 2 -3teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4teaspoon salt
- Place apples in a large bowl.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Pour over apples and mix well.
- Place in crock pot, cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Decrease heat to low; cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown.
- Stir occasionally.
- Uncover and cook on low for 1 hour longer.
- If desired, whisk until smooth.
- Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
- Cover and freeze.